Located at 12, place Vendôme, is the heart and soul of Chaumet, the townhouse here incorporates the exquisite flagship Boutique, the historic Salons, the High Jewellery workshop and the Creative Studio.
In 1812, Chaumet’s founder, Marie-Etienne Nitot, bought the townhouse at 15, place Vendôme to set up his apartments and shop. Chaumet’s founder was one of the first Parisian jewelers to settle on the Place Vendôme, also the current address of the Ritz. Paris has been renowned for the quality and creativity of its jewellery artisans for over five centuries. Serving the notable figures of the time period including Napoleon’s marriage to Joséphine, then to Marie-Louise of Habsburg-Lorraine, Queen Marie-Antoinette’s great-niece, meant some sumptuous commissions for Chaumet. Nitot became the most sought-after jeweller in Europe and established a loyal and prestigious clientele and the official jeweller of Napoleon. A creative and innovative man, Nitot passed on his attention to quality and originality to his successors.
Decorative Arts Inspired Jewelry Graced the Romantic Period
Following the fall of the Empire, Nitot’s successors were dedicated to romantic jewellery inspired by the decorative arts of the Italian Renaissance and of the French 17th-century. In 1853, Paris resumed its glamorous life, its international reputation revived as the capital of luxury and fashion a formidable atmosphere conducive to designing jewels to be worn during the day or in the evening with sumptuous ball gowns.
The Distinct Style of Chaumet
THE CHAUMET HIGH JEWELRY EDIT
Hortensias bouquet brooch of the queen Hortense in gold, diamonds and rubies, Chaumet – Nitot, Abbaye territoriale d’Einsiedeln, 1816.